Charter Granted in 1866
The Borough Of Boyertown, County of Berks
 
   
  HISTORY
 
 

The earliest history of Boyertown is to be found in 1720, when John Salter became part owner of the Powell purchase. Other early settlers included Jonathan Rhoads, Henry Baer, the Shaner family, the Henry Boyers and the Schaeffers.

One of the oldest known settlers was Henry Stauffer, who was born several miles from Boyertown in 1725 and came to Colebrookdale, as Boyertown was known in those days.

Later on, Henry Boyer purchased a farm on the Latshaw property, near the center of town. Henry decided to build a hotel at the intersection of "Philadelphia and Reading roads" today the Boyertown Inn. Henry Boyer and his brother, Daniel, became owners of most of the land in Boyertown.

In 1835, the community was laid out in town lots, and the first attempted to incorporate was made in 1851. A second attempt to incorporate was made in April, 1866, granting Boyertown a corporate existence, named after some of its early settlers - Henry Boyer and family.

The first borough council was organized in the Union Hotel on November 19, 1866. Council members included William Fegley, Samuel Shaner, H.B. Rhoads, Philip Gabel. The town's first burgess was Jonathan Kepler.